It was good to see Paull (he’s written generously about his time with me in Yorkshire). It’s helped me to form a view of the attitudes and aspirations of an ambitious young PR practitioner. I think the following describes Paull adequately – but it’s really an amalgam based on my experience of hiring and educating people over the last 20 years (I also have Sarah in mind, among others). Take it as a draft template for success in public relations:
- Openness: Are you open to new people, cultures and, above all, ideas? Can you speak equally and honestly to people regardless of their gender, race, age, wealth or status?
- Fearlessness: By all means be respectful of older people, but are you thinking ‘I could do better?’
- Inquisitiveness: Are you constantly seeking new ideas? Can these come from the classics, popular culture, film, literature, social media, conversations and academic texts?
- Ambition: Do you have a picture of where you want to be, but the adaptability to update this?
- Flexibility: Do you have a firm view of your personal values, but the subtlety to realise that few issues are ‘black and white’?
- Communication: Do you have a passion for words, and are you as accomplished at writing as speaking, in print and online?